Note! This article contains a lot of information about FlippingBook settings and you might end up feeling a bit overwhelmed after reading it. If you feel like you could use a tour and understand it better during a live demonstration feel free to book a meeting with one of our specialists.
FlippingBook Online provides you with a variety of settings you can use to customize your publications. You can easily adjust the look and feel of your flipbooks. You can also fine-tune your publication interface and configure other features according to your needs. What’s more, you can save your settings as default for future flipbooks!
Keep on reading if you would like to learn how to:
- Access your flipbook settings
- Change your flipbook Title and Description
- Add flipbook Skin
- Use Branding settings
- Change flipbook Controls
- Protect flipbook with a Password
- Set up a lead-capture form
- Make your flipbook accessible
- Configure other settings
- Save flipbook settings
- Save flipbook settings as default
Access your flipbook settings
- Open the list of your flipbooks.
- Hover over the flipbook you'd like to change and click the Customize option or find it in the three-dot button menu:
Your flipbook settings are conveniently organized into groups and can be easily viewed and modified.
Note! Branding and Lead Capture Form settings are available in the Optimal plan and in higher plans.
Change your flipbook Title and Description
The Title and Description that you give to your flipbooks are important! The title is used in several places:
- in the preloader that your viewers briefly see when opening the flipbook;
- in the header bar when viewing the actual flipbook;
- when someone finds your flipbook in a search engine;
- when sharing it on social media;
- in the browser tab.
So you want to make sure that it looks neat. By default, we use the Title field from your PDF as the flipbook title. If the PDF has no title, we use the filename instead.
We also use the title and description when you share your flipbook on social networks.
If you make your flipbook searchable on Google then giving it a proper title and description is even more important. Search engines use the title (and sometimes the description) when showing your flipbook in the search results. But the words that you add here carry extra weight when people search for them.
For example, you created a catalog called Acme, and people start searching it using the “Acme Catalog” phrase. Your flipbook will show up much higher in the search results if it actually contains “Acme Catalog” in its title and description.
You can change your flipbook Title and Description in the Title & Description tab.
Apply a Skin to your flipbook
A Skin is a ready design for your flipbook interface. It consists of preset colors, menu bars, and a background image. We have created 24 different skins for all occasions. Just select one that best fits your content or see our article on how to add a Skin to your flipbook for more detail.
Use Branding settings
The Branding group of settings grants you further customization options. It’s available in the Optimal plan and in higher plans.
- Logo – Upload your own image to replace the FlippingBook logo on your flipbook’s interface, or remove it completely.
- Background Image – Use a custom image of your choice as a background for your flipbook, overriding your selected Skin’s default one.
- Color Palette – This option allows you to set your own colors for the navigation elements of your flipbook. Here you can learn how to change Color Settings for your flipbook.
- Favicon – This setting allows you to replace (or remove) the small icon, which is usually displayed on your browser’s tab where your flipbook is opened.
You can use all these settings to adjust your flipbook to your company brand.
Change flipbook Controls
In this section, you can configure the available interface buttons and panels. Keep in mind that some of the interface elements won’t look the same on mobile devices:
Bottom Menu – Add/remove the bottom panel buttons:
Share | Print | Download | Text Selection
Table of Contents | Thumbnails | Notes
Sound | Fullscreen | Zoom | Search
Removing any of these buttons turns off the feature associated with them. For example, disabling the Sound button also turns off the flipping sound effect.
Note! Turning off the Search button in Controls will not turn off search engine indexing for this flipbook. If you want to enable or disable indexation by search engines, then you can do that in the Privacy section of the Customize menu by choosing any privacy mode other than Public.
Pinned Sidebar – You can choose if a sidebar will be opened when your flipbook is loaded. This sidebar can contain your Table of Contents, Thumbnails, Search, or Notes.
Call-to-Action – This enables a CTA button to the top right corner of your flipbook, with a text and URL of your choice. We have a separate article that describes all the ins and outs of the CTA button.
Choose the right privacy setting
In the section Privacy we offer different privacy settings for your flipbooks, so you can control who can see them and who can’t. There are several options to choose. Our article Who can see my flipbooks? explains all the options in detail:
Set up a Lead Capture Form
A Lead Capture Form is a useful tool for your marketing purposes. It's designed to encourage your readers to submit some personal information (for example, name and email) before reading your flipbook. The Lead Capture Form is available in the Optimal plan and in higher plans.
More information on how to set up a lead capture form and how it works.
Make your flipbook accessible
Accessibility is all about making your flipbooks accessible for everyone: for people with or without disabilities. Using FlippingBook Online, you can add an accessible PDF version of your flipbook, so people can download and read it on a screen reader. Here are the steps you should follow to use this option:
- Open the list of your flipbooks.
- Hover over the flipbook you'd like to change and click the Customize option or find it in the three-dot button menu.
- Choose the option Accessibility:
If the PDF you used to create your flipbook is compliant with the accessibility standards, you can offer it for download for people with disabilities without any changes. If this is your case, choose the option Original PDF. Otherwise upload your new PDF using the option Custom PDF.
More information about accessibility in FlippingBook Online.
Configure other settings
Other configuration options can be found in Settings.
- Page Turn Mode - Switch between default Flip mode and Slide mode.
- Book Layout - controls whether a flipbook is displayed as spreads or single pages. Unlike Slide mode, the 1-page layout keeps the flipping effect intact. Works best in flipbooks with wide landscape pages.
- Shadow Depth - This setting allows you to control the shadow depth between the pages. You can also completely disable the shadow if you feel like it affects your content integrity.
- Page Numeration Offset - Controls the page numeration, both in the paginator in the top panel and in the URL. By default, the numbering starts at 1. But if you add an offset of e.g. 3, then the 4th page of your book will get page number 1 and all previous pages will be labeled with Roman numerals as in the screenshot above. Books often use such numeration offsets for the introductory chapter. With this setting, you can synchronize the on-page numeration in your PDF with the FlippingBook-pagination.
You can also use a negative offset. For example, if you use -2, then the first page will get page number 3, the second page will have page number 4, etc.
- Fixed Zoom mode - If your readers are zoomed in and then turn the page, then with Fixed Zoom mode, the next page will also be opened zoomed in. This makes the reading experience more comfortable. Many readers zoom in to make it easier to read the text. So if they stay zoomed in, it will prevent the need for zooming in again every time they flip a page.
In some cases, this is less desirable. For example, if your text is generally easily readable but people only zoom in on specific details. In such cases, you can disable the Fixed Zoom mode. If you disable Fixed zoom mode and then flip a page, we show the next page non-zoomed.
- Hardcover – With this setting turned on, your flipbook will look like a hardback book.
- Book Thickness - Enable this setting to give your book a more authentic print-like look.
- Link Highlighting – With this setting enabled, all links on a page will be highlighted once your reader opens that page.
- Right-to-left – This option allows you to set the page-flipping direction in case your flipbook is in an RTL language.
Save flipbook settings
Once you have configured the settings for your flipbook, you can save them by pressing the Finish button. Alternatively, you can press the Discard button to return to the list of your flipbooks without saving changes.
Save flipbook settings as default
Your flipbook settings can be saved as default for future and existing uploads. This can come in handy if you need to create several flipbooks sharing a common style and preferences. You won’t have to select your settings manually, which can save you time and effort.
There are two ways to apply your flipbook's settings as default. The first one is to do that directly from the Customize menu:
- Click the small triangle to the right of the Finish button and tick the box Make settings default for future flipbooks
- Press the Finish button. You will be automatically redirected to the list of your flipbooks
The other way is to save settings as default directly from your account:
- Open the list of your flipbooks.
- Hover over the flipbook you'd like to change and choose the Save settings as default option from the three-dot button menu:
- Apply the settings to existing books in the current folder or future flipbooks (regardless of the folder). Or both at the same time:
Details to be aware of when saving your flipbook settings as default:
- When a Lead Capture Form is used, and it is placed on the page which is not available in your new flipbook, the form will appear on the last page.
- Default settings will apply to your new uploads only. To apply settings to the existing flipbooks in the same folder, go back to the Flipbooks page first. Once there click on the three dots button next to the flipbook you'll take the default settings from, and select the option Save settings as default.
- Please note that default settings for future flipbooks are updated regardless of the folder. For example, you have two flipbooks located in different folders. Saving settings as default from the flipbook in folder A apply them to the next flipbook you’ll upload. Saving settings as default from the flipbook in folder B shortly after that, will rewrite the settings again.
Note! You cannot save default settings for Right-to-left page flip direction, flipbook title, accessibility and custom domain (if you have Multiple Custom Domains).
Would you like to add videos, links and images to your flipbook to make it even more interactive? Learn how to do it with the Content Editor.