A Table of Contents (ToC) helps readers to navigate your FlippingBook Online flipbook quickly and easily. Your readers can simply click on one of the entries in your ToC and they will be taken to the corresponding page right away. Especially for larger publications, this can be an indispensable aid. For flipbooks up to 50 pages, it may be a luxury, but for larger ones, your readers will really appreciate it.
First, the bad news: FlippingBook Online doesn't have a built-in editor to create and edit Table of Contents yet :( But the good news is that with a bit of work, you can create one anyway. Because if you upload your PDF to FlippingBook Online, and that PDF contains bookmarks, then we will use these bookmarks to create a ToC (like in the screenshot above) automatically. So to create a ToC, you will need to create bookmarks in your PDF before uploading it.
How to add Bookmarks to your PDF
If you didn't create the PDF yourself but you used a professional designer, then you can of course ask them to create bookmarks. For them, it should be a bread-and-butter task. But there are several other ways to add bookmarks yourself too.
- If you have Adobe Acrobat (the paid version, not the free Adobe Reader! In Adobe Reader, you can see and use bookmarks, but not create them) then it’s easy to add bookmarks to your PDF in Adobe Acrobat. Adobe has some great instructions to add bookmarks on their site.
- If you don’t have Adobe Acrobat Pro, you can also do it with other PDF editors. For example, jPDFBookmarks is a free open source solution that you can install, open your PDF, add the bookmarks, and save it.
- There are also free online tools such as PDFescape. You upload your PDF there first and then edit the bookmarks online. However such tools often have a limitation to the number of pages or MBs that you can upload.
After you have added bookmarks, you can open your PDF in Adobe Reader to check if they're there. Here is what a PDF with bookmarks looks like in Adobe Reader:
Once the bookmarks are added, you can upload your PDF to FlippingBook Online, and the table of contents will be created from the bookmarks automatically.
How to use Table Of Contents
If your flipbook has a table of contents, your readers will be able to show or hide it by pressing the Table of Contents button in the bottom menu of the flipbook. The table of contents is shown in the Navigation Tab on the left-hand side.
Readers can navigate to chapters or sections of your flipbook by simply clicking the links in the table of contents.
How to set up a table of contents to be opened by default
If you would like a table of contents to be opened by default when your flipbook is loaded, you can do it as follows:
- Open the list of your flipbooks.
- Hover over the flipbook you'd like to change and choose the Customize option from the three-dot button menu.
- Then find the Default Navigation setting in the Controls section and select the Table of Contents from the list of options.