It’s not only possible to customize the skin of a publication to your own taste, but we have added a lot of options to FlippingBook Publisher to help you customize the interface of the publication itself as well!
Things that you can change include the ‘favicon’ that is shown in the browser tab, the publication’s name, the ‘Contact’ button, all the control elements in the bottom menu, and (in the Business edition) the background logo. Let’s look at where you can change these options in more detail.
The ‘General’ Tab
Most options can be found directly under the General Tab in FlippingBook Publisher:
- The Publication Name appears in the top left corner but also in the Browser tab when you open it online.
- The Publication Description isn’t directly visible, but will be used when your publication is shared on Social Media, or when your publication is displayed in the search results of some search engines.
- The Background Logo is a clickable image. When your visitors click on it, it will open the URL that you specified in a new tab in the browser. You can change or remove it by clicking on the small thumbnail image in the settings, and then choose ‘Select Image’ or ‘Remove Image’ from the pop-up menu. You can also specify in which corner the logo is placed. Note that this feature is available only in the Business Edition of FlippingBook Publisher.
- The favicon is the small icon that is shown when you open the publication in a browser, next to your publication’s name in the tab.You can select your own icon by clicking on the thumbnail. If you want to use the icon for your own site, but don’t have it directly, then try opening your site and adding to the URL /favicon.ico, for example, www.flippingbook.com/favicon.ico. In many cases, this will open the image, so you can right click on it to save it on your computer and then use it in your FlippingBooks.
The ‘Controls’ tab
If you scroll a bit down the properties on the left hand side, you will find another tab called ‘Controls’, which unfolds a lot of other options you can use to fine-tune the interface:
Let’s take a closer look at what these options do exactly and what they mean for the visitors of your publication:
- Bottom Menu toggles the entire bottom menu, removing all the icons from the interface. This can be useful if you intend to embed your publication in your site, but you want to remove the interface completely to avoid clutter on your page. Please note that the effect is that many functions will not be available.
- Table of Contents. If your publication has a Table of Contents, then it has a ToC icon shows up in the bottom menu. Users can click on this icon to make the ToC appear on the side of the publication. You can create a ToC manually but if your imported PDF already contained one, then it is imported automatically. If you for some reason don’t want to use this, then you can deselect the checkbox to prevent the icon from appearing in your publication.
- Thumbnails shows miniature preview pages of your publication in the side window. This option gives your users a visual way to navigate through your publication. It’s a great aid if your publication contains lots of visual content. However, if your publication contains mainly text, then this may not be very helpful and you can disable it.
- Share toggles the sharing icon that allows users to share your publication on Social Media.
- Print and Downloads toggles the availability of the print and download icons. Your users can click on these to print or download some or all the pages of your original PDF. Disabling these protects your content from leading a separate life offline. Note that they are grouped together, because either option gives your user the power to perform the other one too. If you allow to download, then users can print the downloaded version. If you allow to print, then the can print to a ‘PDF-printer’ to actually acquire a downloaded copy.
- Fullscreen toggles the fullscreen icon that your users can click to view the publication in fullscreen mode, i.e. remove the browser’s interface.
- Zoom allows your users to click on the zoom button and get a close-up view of your content. Disabling this button removes this icon and prevents your users from zooming in.
- Sound enables or disables the sounds button for your publications. Once you switch it on it will appear in the publication after you publish it.
- Top Bar completely removes the top bar and all the Items in it completely, regardless of other settings.
- Total pages removes the indicator showing the total number of pages.
- Search toggles the availability of the search option in the top right corner of your publication. If a users clicks on the magnifying glass, enters text and presses enter, then a side window appears with all the matching pages where the text is found in your publication.
- The Side Window option allows you to show any of the three possible side windows (Table of Contents, Thumbnails, or Search) to appear automatically when your visitors open your publication. If your publication has hundreds of pages then a table of contents is almost a necessity to help your users in navigating around, so that is a good reason to make it appear by default. If your publication consists of a catalog with lots of part numbers that you expect your users will search for, then selecting the ‘Search’ option would makes sense.