APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) allow two applications to communicate with each other and exchange data. FlippingBook Online has a public API, which you can use from your own applications to communicate with our platform. This article briefly describes the possibilities.
Two ways to communicate
- Use Zapier. Zapier is an online platform that allows end-users to integrate web-based applications and automate workflows.
- Send API requests from your application directly to FlippingBook Online.
|Can be set up by non-programmers (though still requires decent general IT proficiency)
|Can only be used by developers
|Separate Zapier license required. Zapier offers a free plan, but with very limited possibilities.
|No separate license required
|Only works with other web-based apps that support Zapier
|Can be used from any app
Both Zapier integration and API usage are available in FlippingBook Online Advanced, Team, and Enterprise plans.
- Advanced and Team users can use all functionality mentioned below except for creating and updating flipbooks.
- Enterprise users can use all functionality, including creating flipbooks automatically from PDFs.
NoteAPI usage functions are available to users of all eligible plans, but not enabled by default. Our support team will be happy to enable this for you and provide you with an API key
What you can achieve
As with any API, the possibilities are endless and depend largely upon your imagination. But we'll list a few of the more popular use cases:
- Generate flipbooks automatically: If you have a considerable library of PDFs that are updated regularly, then you can fully automate that. No need to remember that you have to upload your new catalog to FlippingBook. Updated flipbooks will keep their existing links. We send a notification back when the flipbook is fully converted (or if something went wrong).
- Process captured leads: if you set up a Lead capture form for your flipbooks, then we can notify you about any new leads that signed up. For example, you can add a lead capture form after the final page of a newsletter. Your readers could here sign up for more newsletters. You can then automatically mail them if a new one is available.
- Create trackable links and process activity: your can generate trackable links automatically for selected clients in your system. We can send back notifications to your system with the info that you would otherwise have to look up in your FlippingBook Online account: if they opened the link, detailed information about the pages and time, or if they did not view the link.
Your system could automatically generate reminders (if your clients did not open the link) and follow-ups (if they spent e.g. more than 3 minutes on your brochure), based upon the data that you get from us. And once expired, you can automatically delete the link, so you never run out of trackable links.
We have created a separate article about the possibilities of our Zapier integration, including a video and step-by-step instructions for creating your first Zap.
The full documentation for our API is available at https://apidocs.flippingbook.com/. Below we will give an overview of the available API calls you can perform programmatically and triggers (webhooks) that you can react to.
- Retrieve detailed information about your flipbooks
- Create new flipbooks (Enterprise only)
- Update metadata about an existing flipbook (Enterprise only)
- Replace the PDF in existing flipbooks (Enterprise only)
- Update selected settings for the look and behavior of your flipbooks
- Delete flipbooks
- Retrieve information about trackable links
- Create new trackable links
- Change or delete trackable links
- Retrieve information about custom domains for your account
- Someone filled out the Lead capture form in one of your flipbooks
- Someone viewed a flipbook or trackable link
- Someone printed one of your flipbooks
- The ‘if not opened by’ date for a trackable link was reached, and the link was not used.
- A flipbook has been created, updated, or deleted successfully.
- The conversion failed after you tried to create or update a publication.
- A specified link in one of your flipbooks has been clicked.