Making digital magazines for your business can be fast, easy, and fun, but it can also be a frustrating process if you’re not sure how to do it right.
Don’t be afraid: we’ve got you covered. Just read on to learn about the best tools for creating digital magazines and some tips to remember when making stunning online magazines.
The best tools for making digital magazines
What do all the best tools have in common? They are very convenient to use and allow you to create digital magazines quickly and easily. So check out these tools for any level of skills and choose whatever suits you the best.
- Lucidpress - an easy graphic design app that allows you to create multi-page layouts, manage all your brand materials and use them when creating your magazines step-by-step. It features a variety of magazine templates with customizable elements such as fonts, colors, and images. Look how to design a magazine in Lucidpress.
- Canva - an easy web design app that enables you to make digital magazines without much effort. It offers you a big library of templates, and all you have to do is to choose the one you like and customize according to your needs. You can start with their complete guide on creating magazines.
- Adobe InDesign CC - professional-level design software for PC and Mac. It’s the most famous and widely used software for creating multi-page layouts, and the first choice for many marketers, designers, and publishers. If you already work in InDesign, check out a detailed tutorial on how to create a magazine.
- Bookwright - book publishing software that offers a suite of creative functionalities for both beginners and more advanced users. It allows you to add your text or images, use high-design templates for popular magazines, journals and newspapers, or start fresh with your own layouts. Learn more on how to work in Bookwright here.
If you have ready PDFs and want to digitize them, FlippingBook Online can be a great help. It’s an online service that allows you to create compelling magazines with a great reading experience, smooth page-flip effect, and comfortable viewing on any device. FlippingBook offers a gallery of ready-made professional designs, custom colors and backgrounds, and an opportunity to add your own branding, videos, and links.
Checklist for newbies – how to make engaging digital magazines
A well-designed magazine has consistent elements that are shared across the whole design, from cover to cover. Such thematic designs are the hallmark of a professional and carefully planned magazine.
So if you are not quite familiar with the process of creating digital magazines, here’s a checklist to help you make your design nice-looking and consistent:
- The magazine cover plays an important role in engaging readers – it works as a powerful marketing tool. Yes, magazines are really judged by the cover. So make sure your cover is compelling by using high-impact photography and an eye-catching header. A good rule of thumb is to display one main headline and no more than five sub-headlines to ensure a clean layout.
- Color palette – choose one to three colors and use these consistently for headlines, texts, and backgrounds. Many effective magazine designs use color sparingly, demonstrating that a simple pop of bold color can be more striking than a palette of rainbow brights.
- Typography – use consistent typefaces, type weights, and sizes. Once you choose them, stick with them across the whole magazine, and the next issues, as well. It will help your readers instantly recognize you and your unique style.
- Shape and graphics – use the same shapes or image borders and other graphic elements across the magazine.
- Page numbering style and running headers should also be consistent.
For instance, look at the blend of light colors that help to create a nice cozy atmosphere across the pages of the magazine.
Check out this bright and impactful cover with bold use of typography and illustration that instantly catch the eye.
What are the benefits of using digital magazines?
A magazine is the perfect multi-functional product for your business. It gives you many opportunities to develop your marketing activities. And once you’ve created it, you can use it for many different purposes:
- Creating wider outreach: It’s a great way for more people to learn about you and your products and services. You can share your magazines through all the channels you have, be it blog, social media, website, or newsletter. Read on about the best ideas for your newsletters parts one and two.
- Building relationships: Magazines build trust between your business and your audience. Magazines offer huge value to interested customers, who can easily get info about your services, industry, and business.
- Expert status: Having a quality magazine gives you a big opportunity to earn a reputation as an expert and influencer in your niche. It’s more work than a blog, but if you really go for it, you’ll get way more dividends.
Learn how to create an efficient social media campaign for promoting your magazine in our article.
Start creating stunning digital magazines right away
Once you’ve created your digital magazine, you’ll have a process ready to roll for all the next issues. So making magazines will become a creative and inspiring process, without frustration and worries.
Digital magazines are really easier than physical magazines for several reasons: there’s no need to worry about the logistics and expense of physically delivering the magazine, printing costs, misprints or outdated information.
And they help you to stay competitive in the digital publishing world, become an authority in your niche, and create a mass of loyal readers. It’s worth a try, right?
Do you use magazines for your marketing activities? Which format do you prefer, print or digital? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Create your magazine in secondsTry for free